Keeping chickens as pets is gaining popularity in the Richmond area, especially now that an ordinance has passed allowing individuals to have up to four hens in their backyards. With the fresh eggs and lively personalities comes the responsibility of providing appropriate nutrition and husbandry, disease prevention and treatment, and protection from zoonotic disease. Cary Street Veterinary Hospital has a special interest in supporting the health and welfare of urban chickens and backyard flocks.
Some Reasons To Take Your Chicken to the Veterinarian Include
- Feather loss and external parasites
- Injuries and lacerations from predator attacks
- Cough, sneeze, swollen eyelids, upper respiratory signs
- Weight loss
- Droopy birds
- Lack of coordination and weakness
- Decreased egg production
- Unexplained death (for a post-mortem exam to prevent the death of other flock members)
For any questions, or if you’d like to make an appointment, you can contact us at 804-386-0196 or you can request an appointment online.